Tuesday, 16 August 2016

When My Boyfriend Is Questioning Our Future

My name is Hannah, I'm 17 years old, I am two weeks away from my 18th birthday, I start university is just over a month, and last night, my boyfriend said he isn't sure about our previous decision to carry on our relationship whilst we are at university.

Now, before I delve in to the details of what actually happened last night, here's a quick run down of our relationship so far.

Josh and I met some time winter last year at work. I'd been working there for a year already before he joined. I'm not sure at what point we became friends, but by Christmas we were close. Josh is a great guy, and this isn't going to be a post criticising him. He's a year older than me and took a gap year to figure things out before getting a place at university. I've just completed my final year of A Levels and have an unconditional to study English Literature at university this September. Now Josh and I started dating in March, and we've been through a fair bit together. He's supported me through my A Levels and been so understanding when I've had to deal with my anxiety. A few months back, we decided that we would try and make it work while at uni. Since then we've had our first argument, but also spent the night together.

The thing about our relationship is that we don't see each other that often anyway, we live at opposite sides of the county, so there is a fair bit of travelling required to go out together. So a long distance wouldn't be so different than what we're used to.

Now before he is seen as the villain in this scenario, I've been thinking this for a while too. As happy as I am in this relationship, I don't want either of us to be forced to stay together if we don't want to be. And while I trust that he would never cheat, there is always that risk at university.

Last night we were talking about the sex stuff, as you do and well, this is how the conversation went (Edited for clarity, and because you can't include emojis in a blog);

Me: But hey! At least sex is expected at uni, so if we do visit each other, it won't be an issue
Him:True
Me: Actually what is the plan for that? Are we going to visit each other? 
Him: Probably!
Me: Otherwise I won't see you until December!
Him: That's true
Me: You still want to carry this on though? As in you want to go for long distance 
Him: Not sure
Me: Oh
Him: You? 
Me: Yes and no As in, I love being with you, but it's going to be hard
Him: I'm the same

From there we decided to actually talk it out in person, rather than over text, as nothing good can ever happen during a whatsapp conversation at 2:30 am.

Now Josh is one of the most chilled out people I've ever met, so for this change of heart to have happened, it indicates that he's been thinking and something is worrying him. We are going to talk about it, but in the mean time, all I can do is keep my cool, not cry and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment